Sunday, June 10, 2007

BlushRadio Volume 5

Jackie Day - Before It's Too Late
Robert Parker - Barefootin'
Irma Thomas - Don't Mess With My Man
Barbra Mercer - Nobody Loves You Like Me
Chris Clark - Whisper You Love Me Boy
Ronnie Love - Chills and Fever
Brother Jack McDuff - Can't Get Satisfied Pt 1
Carl Carlton - I Can Feel It
Jessica James and the Outlaws - We'll Be Makin' Out
Little Mary Staten - Steppin' Stone



I hope that you are in fine fettle and ready for another soul packed volume of the Blush Organisation’s finest platters. Ed’s served up another wonderful podcast a couple of weeks ago and now it’s my turn to step up to the plate and share with you some of my favourite records. It’s another mixed bag of sixties soul and r&b, some well known and a few obscurities.

Ed and I hope to keep the podcasts coming thick and fast, with a new one posted every couple of weeks or so. We thank you for your kind comments, so far, knowing that people are digging what we do is a real buzz.

Jackie Day – Before It’s Too Late

First up we have a song that I’ve loved this song since I first heard it on the Kent compilation For Dancer Only. It’s the kind of driving northern soul that I love to dance to and play. This has been a regular in my sets for a number of years now and will continue to be for years to come.
Robert Parker – Barefootin’

This is our first trip to New Orleans in this podcast. Ed and I used to promote a night named after the Robert Parker track Hip Huggin’, which I am bound to feature in a future podcast but this time I’ve opted for probably his best known track. There's a great piece on Robert Parker over at Funky 16 Corners.
Irma Thomas – Don’t Mess With My Man

We stay in the Crescent City for the debut single from a true soul legend, Irma released one more record on Ron before moving on to Bandy, Imperial and Chess, to name but a few. There was a fantastic piece on Irma’s career over on the B Side recently, which is well worth checking out.

Barbra Mercer – Nobody Loves You Like Me

I’ve written about this beautiful song before on this blog. This is a nice easy record to pick up and won’t set you back much but what a song.

Chris Clark – Whisper You Love Me Boy

I was originally going to include the wonderful Loves Gone Bad on this podcast but I got beaten to it by the fantastic Office Naps, so I thought I’d opt for another cut from this blue eyed soul sensation. This track’s intro is lifted from Stevie Wonder’s I Was Made To Love her but puts it to good use. A light vocal delivery over Motown’s trade marked backing, ticks all the right boxes.

Ronnie Love – Chills and Fever

I love the sleazy horn line a the start of this record and it continues to move along in a greasy manner throughout. This is clearly a Fever cash in record but has real charm and just sounds dirty.

Brother Jack McDuff – Can’t Get Satisfied Pt 1

Brother Jack McDuff is one of my favourite organists and I pick up his records whenever I come across them. This track is from the album Tabacco Road which is well worth picking up.

Carl Carlton – I Can Feel It

This is the second track that I’ve written about before on here, so I will direct you to my original posts to read a little more about the track.

Jessica James and the Outlaws – We’ll Be Makin' Out

Next up we have some girl group perfection, in the form of Jessica James and the Outlaws’ wonderful We’ll Be Making Out. This is another easy track to pick up that won’t set you back a fortune. What you get for your money is fantastic sing-a-long soul, with wonderful backing vocals, that would be a hit on any dance floor.

Little Mary Staten – Steppin’ Stone

As with my last podcast, I’m finishing with a moody number from a wronged woman. Steppin’ Stone is the B side to Helpless Girl and is not a cover of the Monkees track. This is a mid-paced number with a really great jazzy breakdown near the end. I know nothing about Mary Staten and as far as I know, this is the only record she released, can anyone shed any light on this?


1 comment:

The Stepfather of Soul said...

Another great podcast. Keep up the good work!