Saturday, March 24, 2007

Lela Martin and the Soul Providers – You Can't Have Your Cake (And Eat It Too) (Melatone)




This one is pretty rare and it has taken to a couple of years to track down a copy. I have also drawn a blank when trying to find out more about the Lela Martin or this record. All I can tell you is that, this was recorded in LA, Carol King co-produced it and written by William Powell. Lela recorded at least one other single for Melatone and one for Stigers.

The song itself is one minute and forty-eight seconds of stomping soul brilliance. It starts off with a pounding bass line before the up tempo drums, guitar and vibes join in. Lela’s vocals are sweet and the male backing vocalists offer a nice counterbalance.

As I’ve said, this track can be pretty difficult to pick up but it is featured on the excellent Soul Function cd/dvd which is well worth picking up for this track alone.

Unfortunately, I’ve been having a problem with my scanner so I haven’t been able to do the label scans I intended to do. Hopefully, I’ll be able to fix this over the weekend and get the lovely label scans up here for you beautiful people.

No comments: