Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Roscoe Robinson – What Makes A Man Do Wrong (Tuff)




Roscoe Robinson was in various gospel outfits, notably The Southern Sons Quartet and the Fairfield Four before going secular. What A Man Do Wrong was his first secular release and just goes to show what a short step it is from the church to the stage.

Released in 1963 on the Tuff label, this is a gritty, gospel tinged affair. It kicks off with a nice guitar lick before being quickly followed by the drums, at this point Roscoe belts out the title of the song before being joined by some great female backing. The rest of the track is pretty basic call and response stuff but done with such vigour that you cannot fail but be moved, both emotionally and physically. I picked this record up blind and it is one of my best blind purchases.

I am going to do some label scans to add to some of the posts over the next week or so, to brighten the place up a bit and because I love looking at them on other people’s sites. I’ll also continue to write about more of my favourite disks, a couple of times a week. I’ve been keeping my postman busy over the last couple of months, so I’ll write about some new purchases but mix that up with some old favourites.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a T-U-N-E... I hope you give it a spin on Good Friday!

Roger said...

I would say that it is a nailed on certainty that I will be playing this on Good Friday.